Learning Different Poker Strategies
People who want to learn to play poker must remember that poker is nothing but betting. To become a successful online poker player, it is very important to master the art of betting. Irrespective of the type of online poker game, the basic betting style would remain the same.
Why Learn The Art Of Betting
If you know the basic art of betting, it would help in keeping you grounded. You would not get carried away after seeing attractive cards in your hand. If you make a mistake while betting, that can cause total loss and all your chips on the table can disappear within a second. So, it is very important to learn the fundamentals of betting before you learn to play poker online.
Fundamentals Of Betting
There are total five betting actions - to bet, to fold, to call, to check or to raise. Let us understand what each of these terms means.
- Bet - You are the first one in the group to bet for something.
- Fold - You do not want to participate any more in the current hand.
- Call - You are right now evaluating somebody's bet.
- Check - You have declined to participate but you are still active in the current hand. However, this is possible only if nobody before you has already betted.
- Raise - You raise the earlier wage that was to continue in the hand.
When you are learning to play poker, you must pay special attention to your position on the table as the position as well the chip stacks. These are the two other important factors to be taken care of other than your cards, while making a decision. Now let us understand which action to take at what time.
When Is The Right Time To Bet?
While you learn to play poker, it is very important to learn when to bet. You would bet when-
- You have a good hand - if another player thinks that you are bluffing, he may raise you, which can work wonders for you.
- You have a not-so-good, not-so-bad hand- With betting, you want to get rid of players who if they continue to play may reduce your chances of winning.
When Is The Right Time To Call?
You would call-
- If you have an ok hand and after calling there are chances of it getting better.
- You have a good hand but want to go slow about it.
When Is The Right Time To Raise?
While you learn to play poker, there may occur three occasions when you can raise-
- You have a very good hand.
- You want to scare the other players so that they leave the hand.
- You have a doubt that another player is bluffing.
When Is The Right Time To Fold?
You would fold when-
- You feel that there are no chances for you to win the hand.
- You feel that there are very low chances for your hand to improve.
When Is The Right Time To Check?
If your hand is ok and everybody else is checking, why should you feel left out?
So, now you have learnt the basic art of betting. This is a great start to learn to play poker for online poker games. Practice hard and win hands!